Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Books and Reading

As most of my friends and followers already know, I am not the type to read. Really, anything that involves reading, I try to avoid. I come from a family of avid readers...book worms. It's odd how I didn't get the influence. I think it's because of my short attention span. Believe me, it's shorter than a pre-schooler's. Doing one thing can only keep me occupied for so long and then I get bored.

I'd like to think of myself as a five-year-old, only stimulated by colorful pictures and interesting sounds. I'm not proud of it, though. It's actually something I want to change in myself.

There was a time in gradeschool when I asked my mom to buy me a Harry Potter book. It was all the other kids were reading at the time and I was curious. (Little did I know of how awesome it actually is...) So we went to this bookstore somewhere in Ortigas (I think, I don't fully remember) and browsed through the best-selling collection. I picked up the second book, Chamber of Secrets, judging solely on the cover. Mom asked if I wanted to buy Sorcerer's Stone first, since it was the first book and it wouldn't make any sense reading the second one if I hadn't started with that. I declined saying I've already read it. Of course that was a lie but I just really wanted my hands on that second book and she said I could only buy ONE. So yeah, we got the book and I spent eternity trying to read it. My baby mind wasn't used to reading such words, I had to alternate with the book and a dictionary just to understand the thing. I think it took me a month to finish 5 chapters. Yes, it's that slow. I'd finish about three pages then get bored and distract myself with television, watching either Pokemon or some 'adult' movie on HBO. Long story short, I never got to finish that book. It's still lying in my bookshelf right now, prolly collecting dust. :(

Another thing... Book reports. You know how when you were a kid and the teachers in your grade would make you do book reports for every quarter of the academic year? Well, we had that in the Philippines too. We had to make 4 book reports each year. Being sneaky me, I always chose the thin books. I didn't care if they were cheap-ass chicklits or nonsense rewrites of the classics. What's important is how fast I would be able to breeze through that book. So I borrow the thin books from the school library, look at each one at home and choose four of the more interesting covers. (I'm sorry but I really do judge a book by its cover) But even if I did choose the thin ones, I never actually end up reading them. I just look at those summaries at the back of the book and "revise" them so that the teacher doesn't notice that I copied it. I had yet to learn of the Internet and search engines. And when the year is over and they give us back all these school papers with our grades on them, I gather all the book reports and put them in a binder. Why? 'Cause I recycle those for next year, if in case we have a different English teacher. If not, then I pick one from the thin books I already have mapped out in the library. With all those said, I am sorry to all my English teachers from grade school for cheating on my homework. (But I think they would've known what I was doing long ago. Lql)

...

Yesterday, my cousin and I were out. We came across this bookstore downtown, in the area where I work and looked at the collections they had. (My cousin is a book whore, if there is such a term) I saw all the pretty covers (yes, pardon my love for book covers) and they sparked interest in reading for me. I actually planned to buy books but the store was closing by the time we got back from eating dinner. I'm returning on Thursday before I go to work, though.

To my readers, if there are any left, can you recommend books for me to read? I've got a reading list already, which I'll plug in at the bottom of this post, but I want recommendations from those who read books since they know the best in the market.

Thanks mucho. Adios amigos ♡




Reading list: (In no particular order)

1. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
2. Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
3. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
4. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
5. About a Boy by Nick Hornby
6. Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto
7. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
8. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
9. Empress Orchid by Anchee Min
10. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
11. A Widow for One Year by John Irving
12. Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk
13. Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk
14. Piercing by Ryu Murakami
15. Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk
16. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
17. Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
18. The Art of Making Money: The Story of a Master Counterfeiter by Jason Kersten
19. The Orange Houses by Paul Griffin
20. Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk
21. Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
22. Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
23. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
24. The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson
25. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
26. To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
27. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
28. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Wow, that's a lot considering I'm just starting to read. I also got a lot of Chuck Palahniuk in there. Hmm. What can you guys say? ☺

No comments: